Senior DevOps Engineer
Remote • 14 Oct 2021 • Engineering
We’re looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to oversee, accelerate, and automate our systems for building, deploying, and releasing our software quickly and reliably.
You’ll be successful in this role if you’re an engineer with a passion for optimizing operational processes and crafting the foundations of outstanding product delivery. You’re very comfortable writing shell scripts and Node.js code to manage builds and using Terraform to deploy releases. You’re highly proficient with Git, Node.js, Bash, Docker, Jenkins, and Terraform. You’ve got top-notch organizational skills, communicate effectively, and pay careful attention to detail. You’re a proactive self-starter who isn’t afraid of a challenge and enjoys exploring new frontiers. You should have at least three years of experience with managing software releases, and at least three years of experience working with production AWS infrastructure.
- Improve the speed, efficiency, and reliability of builds, deploys, and releases.
- Improve the flexibility of deployments.
- Ensure releases are delivered with a repeatable, increasingly automated process.
- Ensure product uptime, performance, and scale, maintaining high standards of code quality and architecture.
- Design and deploy scalable, highly available, secure, and fault tolerant systems on AWS for our cloud product.
- Work with our engineering team to identify and implement optimal IT system solutions.
- Define and document best practices and strategies regarding deployment and maintenance.
- Provide guidance and thought leadership to build our team’s devops competencies.
- Manage cloud environments in accordance with company security guidelines.
- Oversee, orchestrate, optimize, automate, and maintain our engineering infrastructure, including our build system and AWS infrastructure.
- Coordinate and manage releases, including for both our AWS cloud platform and our on-premises customer appliances. Track and communicate release milestones and related dependencies. Determine release readiness in coordination with testing engineers.
- Manage and coordinate build and release activities, including release branches and merges.
- Improve deployment automation.
- Troubleshoot production incidents, identify root cause, fix and document problems, and implement preventive measures. Identify, track, and drive release issues and risks to closure.
- Maintain robust documentation.
- Educate teams on the implementation of new cloud-based initiatives, providing associated training as required.
- Employ exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to see and solve issues before they affect business productivity.
Skills and Qualifications
- Solid fundamentals in basic programming skills, Linux, networking basics
- Must be highly proficient with:
- Bash scripts, Git and Git workflows
- js (at least 5 years of experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or mathematics
- 3+ years of experience in developing and maintaining build systems
- 3+ years of experience in architecting, designing, developing, implementing, or managing cloud solutions on AWS platforms
- Experience in some or all of the following areas is preferable, but not required: network architecture, database architecture, security architecture, automation tools, monitoring tools, CI/CD
- Strong communication, organization, and collaboration skills